Thursday, February 25, 2010

Shabby Chic Decorating

My attempt at re-using materials.

I found this old window at our local Habitat For Humanity Restore. I had the vinyl tree but didn't know what to do with it. When I came across the window the "light" came on. I painted it white and put the vinyl tree on the glass but it still looked a little lonely. So, I bought a roll of vinyl and planned a trip to our local scrapbook store to have some words cut out on their Cricut Expression. I have a Cricut but I didn't have the font I wanted so.....off to the store I went.

I had never done vinyl before and I was hoping the kind lady at the store would just whip this out for me.......not so lucky. She hadn't attempted it yet, but Mary and I did do it together and I think it turned out great.
Thanks Mary!!

This next window came from a friend's garage that they were tearing down. I saw it on the side of the rubble and asked him what he was doing with it. "It's going to the transfer station...Why?" I told him I wanted it for a decoration in our house. Now, he knows my hubby and he gave me that 'does your hubby know what your up to' look and I told him not to worry....his name wouldn't come up in the conversation. "It's yours if you want it." Whoopie!! I loaded it up in the car and away I went. I cleaned it up a bit and then painted it. I wanted it to have the worn look so I didn't fix anything. I just made sure the glass was going to stay put. Then I put the kids pictures in and made a little "Family" page and up on the wall it went. I want to take it down and finish putting paper behind the kids pictures. Looks good for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment